Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gas trouble! :)

No, I am actually talking about domestic LPG gas :).

I recently applied for an LPG connection at a HP distributor in my locality. According to the rules, you need to pay deposit for cylinder and regulator only while getting a new connection. However, all the distributors, irrespective of the company - HP, Indane and others, force you to buy accessories like lighter, gas hose, stove etc. This particular distributor insisted me on buying pressure cooker, iron box, mixer, apron etc! Since I had all these appliances already at my home I didn't agree to purchase any of them. I was promptly denied a connection though I had all the required documents like ration card! They even said its company rule and they have to follow. Please note that the purchase of accessories is OPTIONAL irrespective of what they say.

Since I was in no hurry to get a connection, I thought I will try some alternatives. I wrote to HP on their website. To my surprise, they replied in less than 24 hours! They also me asserted that those things were indeed optional. You can check the complaint and reply from HP at http://jihaan.hpcl.co.in/booking/Search.aspx. (click 'Track complaints' at bottom left and enter the reference number: 09019740 and email id: ranjith(dot}kagathi(at}gmail.com. You might have to do this twice some times as their website seems to have some bugs :)) I showed the print out of the mail communication to the distributor and they sanctioned the connection without any more hastles immediately!

So if you are planning to apply for a gas connection, don't pay any extra fees for unnecessary accessories.

6 comments:

Nishad Bhatawadekar said...

Excellent !
They loot us by forcing us to buy these things. When I applied for a gas connection, there was a notice next to the display of cooking range "These appliances are optional and can be purchased from any other dealer". I got the connection by paying the deposit, 2 cylinders, and had to rent a rubber tube and regulator from them though.

Ranjith K A said...

Yeah it seems to be the norm! Even after all this I had to buy a rubber hose and a gas lighter from them :( Anyway, this blog helped a couple of my friends save money just by showing a print out of the mail chain between HP and me :)

Vikas Argod said...

Good one KA. Age of information man!! Kudos to HP complaint cell. Thanks for posting this.

Unknown said...

Valuable info indeed!!

Prasad Shetty said...

A useful information, keep posting such valuable info..

Unknown said...

awesome ..
kyunki fighter humesha jeet-ta hai !!